First Steps

Umbrae

First Steps

Post by Umbrae »

I’ve been reading Tarot since, well…Munich, Watergate, Bobby Fischer did his thing, The Godfather was released, and American Pie played non-stop (I know, a redundant statement), the digital watch was introduced, and McGovern lost the election to Richard Nixon.

So a bit ago I decided to jump in to learn Lennies. And Oh my.

Most of the books contain lists of meanings. You’re told to develop your own meanings, but given a list to memorize. And Book A has meanings that don’t match with book B’s meanings! Because you’re supposed to develop your own.

But how?

Some suggest taking playing cards and writing key words onto each.

Here’s the crux…

One is told to focus on the symbol. What is a Scythe, or a Bouquet?

And it becomes a linguistic nightmare. These writers say this about that, these writers say that about this! French cries one! German the others! Simplify – here’s a list!

So let’s chuck the list and examine how Lenormand decks really work.

Start with the question. Everything begins with the question. Yes we can do 'general readings' using a Grand Tableau - but it takes a while before a Grand Tableau is useful.

After the question, then we look at the cards. We have to examine how the symbol relates to the question. What is it the ‘thing’ does?

In Tarot, we agonize over meaning, “What does the triangle inside the square mean? Why did Waite put it there?”

Here, we look at the form of the symbol, and then its function in relation to the question. There is a difference between the "essence" and "function" of each card's symbol, the difference begins with our own personal vocabulary.

The question provides the context. In Lenormand, context is everything. Lenormand cards are a German invention. So let’s think in German and German language structure for a bit.

Essentially you want to look at the card symbols as Subject, then Modifier; or Subject, mod, mod, or mod Subject mod. Some teach that each card represents an event, agent, or influence. However this leads us away from our goal. Lenormand is about your own vocabulary and how it works.

Finding your own way, in your own language is what makes Lenormand difficult for some.

For instance: Dog+Child+Bear, can very well represent a Hairy Young Friend.

The Bear may also be a manager or boss, or your over-protective monther-in-law, or also slow or sleepy and also...wait for it...Russia.

The question is EVERYTHING. It provides the context in which words are used.

So for starters, write the question down. Make it a simple question. Lay out three cards.

First – which of the three is the ‘subject’? Now play with how the other cards work as modifiers.

Tower+Book is a Book tower, so library.

Book+Tower is Corporate Books.

Question, “Does he love me?” Answer, Book + Tower, “Hon, do a background check...” Generally a book has a closed side (its spine, so a mystery never solved) or open side (its pages, so there’s an answer in there). So book + tower. Who builds towers? Governments and large corporations. Why? Initially as 'watch towers', to see things far off, to guard against danger. So “Does he love me?” it’s not a library is it? It’s more about secrets and government – law enforcement.

See how the question changes how we look at what the symbols mean?

Play…I’ll be back in a few days.

Demon Goddess
Site Admin

Re: First Steps

Post by Demon Goddess »

Spreckensie Deutsch??

Wow.

I started Lenormand after meeting Rana George at Readers. Her manner and style was so very much like what my Grandmother read in her poker deck. The suggestion to WRITE on the cards reminds me how much I wish I had her deck, alas, it disappeared with her when she died.

So, I'm using Carrie Paris' miniature Lennie deck and I ask the Question...

What is the most important project for me to focus on going forward. (too many irons in the fire).

I get...

Woman Book Letter

This morning, before logging in here, I held a phone call with a consultant and hired her to take my Federal Government Petition and essentially write the press release and compile the stakeholders mailing list for it.

It's pretty specific when you can instantly know what the cards are saying.

So I asked, what is the SECOND most important project...

I got Tree Lily Path

I see the growth, everything around me is growing.

I see the path, so what does the Lily is it the old man (meaning my Peppermaster?) ergo, my second most important task is growing his path.

So, I ask when does my tarot practice become important?

And I get...

Ship Dog Bear

O_O

And I don't know what to think of that.

Is there significance to the fact they are all three 10 cards?

I get that there is a move, but I don't get the significance of the friend and the bear.

So sometimes the answer is obvious, sometimes like this, I don't know what to think of it nor how to focus it. I have lots of friends and lots of bears involved in our lives.

Did I ask a bad question? I feel like it has given me a VERY specific thing happening as a response. But I just can't grok what that thing is.

If I'd gotten the tower, I'd think we'd moved into a new kitchen, which we're trying to do, or if I'd gotten the key, I'd have thought that as well.

I suppose the other question is, when the answer SEEMS as vague as this, but it FEELS so complete, how do you focus on the answer to decipher it, ask another question, meditate, wait?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Umbrae

Post by Umbrae »

Well lemme just...

"Tree Lily Path" To continue to grow, in or by next winter a decision must be made

"Ship Dog Bear" Sometimes the exact wording is important. Writing the specific question down is helpful. Ship usually means travel, but it can also be the "wishing" (think wanderlust), loyal and protective? see...need the wording for it to make real sense.

"Is there significance to the fact they are all three 10 cards?" They are three separate readings. I'd not go all esoteric, that's Tarot.

"I suppose the other question is, when the answer SEEMS as vague as this, but it FEELS so complete, how do you focus on the answer to decipher it, ask another question, meditate, wait?"

Vague questions produce vague answers. Focus by writing the question down. "What decisions should we make in the business", is very different than "Should we move to a new kitchen this summer?"

It's a very dissimilar reading style. But the results...

Demon Goddess
Site Admin

Post by Demon Goddess »

So the question really is way more important, I think than I realize.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Umbrae

Post by Umbrae »

In Tarot, you can get loosey goosey with the question.
Here, not so much.

Also - a hint I've found WAY useful. In Tarot we do this 3 card, 5 or 7 card thing. Then we try to do this in Lenormand?

Stop folks. Just stop.

Begin with 2 cards. rather than this card means and then this card means, Make a sentence with those two cards. Then put two cards under those two. Make a sentence. Then read the two card columns (downward), making a sentence. Then read the two diagonals - making a sentence. Every one of those sentences are answers to your question. It's kinda like blues or jazz - you riff on four cards,

Maybe next month or so we'll expand to the 3x3. Working our way to 36 of the buggers.

Demon Goddess
Site Admin

Post by Demon Goddess »

This is going to be fun.

Demon Goddess
Site Admin

Post by Demon Goddess »

Okay, so I tried a different exercise, as you described.

I used the question, will the One of a Kind Show happen this year.

I laid a pair of cards, dog whip.

which gives me the idea that friends are going to beat it into happening. I put down two more cards, below, garden book.

So, if I am reading this right, they dog is annoyed that I think it's not going to happen, because they intend to make sure it happens, but the book says neither one of us is right yet, too many unknowns.

Am I getting this?

Umbrae

Post by Umbrae »

dog is irritated

see how the dog (loyalty) is above the garden (public, network) so in those two cards we have the group that want's it 'to be'.
Whip book...Irritation at unknown factors.

Demon Goddess
Site Admin

Post by Demon Goddess »

the dog represents the show staff who bristled enough at my newsletter saying it wouldn't happen to email me with the show staff's optimism.

haha, I like this exercise way better than the three cards.

I will work with this.

Demon Goddess
Site Admin

Post by Demon Goddess »

Quick question...

If I'm asking questions... the response is the Tree, can I just take that as a yes and not bother with the other three cards?

and is there an energy conflict do you suppose between laying the cards, left to right, return, repeat?

What if I laid the diagonal first?

how "make this your own" do I get to be with this fascinating little divination tool?